[GE users] PE allocation rules

Thu Jul 19 22:19:11 BST 2007

Shannon,

If you set your allocation rule to "2", you'll get two slots per
machine, but that's going to try to only put two tasks on each machine,
and will only overlap task pairs if the load formula dictates it.  What
you're really asking for is the ability to schedule only even numbers of
tasks to a host, e.g. "$fill_up:2".  (Note that "$round_robin:2" would
be the same as the current "2".)  That's not something that Grid Engine
can do.  We're generally only concerned about mins and maxes.  We
haven't put much time into multiples (except with array job task ids).
Sounds like a reasonable RFE, though.

Daniel