[GE users] PE allocation rules

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Jul 20 09:09:51 BST 2007

Daniel Templeton wrote:
> Shannon,
>
> can do.  We're generally only concerned about mins and maxes.  We
> haven't put much time into multiples (except with array job task ids).
> Sounds like a reasonable RFE, though.

I will second that.
Very often there are requirements in parallel processing to have
a $fill_up:2   behaviour.
You might have codes which run better when using only one CPU of a dual
CPU machine (for instance).
Or indeed you might be benchmarking an interconnect, in which case you
might want 1 CPU only per node, and no shared memory communication.

It could then be left up to the systems admin to either allow the other
CPU/slot to be used for serial jobs, or to be held closed by
subordinating the other queues on the node.