[GE users] SGE 6.1 and qsh failure

Barry McInnes Barry.J.Mcinnes at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 20 14:15:32 BST 2007

On 7/19/07 5:04 PM, Reuti wrote:
> Am 19.07.2007 um 22:58 schrieb Barry McInnes:
>
>>> You want a safe ssh connection to the node but then use an unsafe direct
>>> X11 connection back?
>>>
>>> AFAIK there is no qsh_command entry. qsh will just start the program you
>>> set in the global (or node) configuration for "xterm
>>> /usr/bin/X11/xterm". Often it's working to use just:
>>>
>>> qrsh xterm
>>
>> qrsh works fine as does qlogin
>
> Yes, but is also "qrsh xterm" working?

With your insights we might be getting closer to the problem. I had to
interrupt the following commands

[mac27:~/.ssh] bmcinnes% qrsh xterm
^C^Cerror: error waiting on socket for client to connect: Interrupted
system call
error: error reading returncode of remote command

[mac27:~/.ssh] bmcinnes% qrsh /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
^C^Cerror: error waiting on socket for client to connect: Interrupted
system call
error: error reading returncode of remote command
[mac27:~/.ssh] bmcinnes%

I had to force quit, and it returns a socket error. Is it trying to use
some 6000+ port ?
I had to reset the port in the ql.sh to 22 to get qlogin qnd qrsh to
operate, from what SGE wanted to use which hung those commands before I
forced port 22.
The Macs only have login and ARD allowed on the firewall, so maybe that
is stopping qsh, qlthough qrsh without a command works ?

>>> if you setup your ssh-wrapper in SGE to have the option -Y or put this
>>> option in the global /etc/ssh/ssh_config or private ~/.ssh/config like:
>>>
>>> Host *
>>>     ForwardAgent yes
>>>     ForwardX11 yes
>>>     ForwardX11Trusted yes
>>>     Compression yes
>>>     NoHostAuthenticationForLocalhost yes
>>>     ServerAliveInterval 900
>>>

>> I tried the above settings in private config file, with no gain.
>> All macs have been setup to use passwordless, so this works
>> [mac27:~/.ssh] bmcinnes% ssh mac05
>> [mac05:~] bmcinnes%
>>
>>> (and maybe it's of interest: optionally have on the Mac the
>>> http://www.phil.uu.nl/~xges/blog/ssh running with the same options you
>>> could even use a passphrase in your ssh-keys without the need to enter
>>> it all the time. A good explanation for the use of the ssh-agent I found
>>> here: http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ssh-agent-forwarding.html).
>>>

>> If there is no obvious solution, I will live without qsh, but here is
>> the same tests as in the first email after using the above config.
>>
>> mac27:~/.ssh] bmcinnes% qsh -display :0.0 -e -v
>> error: local DISPLAY variable ":0.0" delivered with interactive job
>> [mac27:~/.ssh] bmcinnes% qsh -display mac27:0.0 -e -v
>> Your job 34871 ("INTERACTIVE") has been submitted
>> waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...
>> Could not start interactive job.
>> [mac27:~/.ssh] bmcinnes% qsh -display mac27.cdc.noaa.gov:0.0 -e -v
>> Your job 34872 ("INTERACTIVE") has been submitted
>> waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...
>> Could not start interactive job.
>
> What are these "-e -v" options - to qsh an error output with name -v?
>
> qsh -display mac27:0.0
>
> we should get working.
>
> qsh -display mac27:0.0 -w v
>
> shows suitable queues?

They were just options I entered, I figured -v would work. Here are your
options. It takes about 5 secs waiting for scheduler, then says Could
not start.

[mac27:~/.ssh] bmcinnes% qsh -display mac27:0.0 -w v
verification: found suitable queue(s)

[mac27:~/.ssh] bmcinnes% qsh -display mac27:0.0
Your job 34878 ("INTERACTIVE") has been submitted
waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...
Could not start interactive job.
[mac27:~/.ssh] bmcinnes%

> -- Reuti

---