[GE users] SGE 6.1 and qsh failure

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Jul 23 18:04:34 BST 2007

Am 23.07.2007 um 15:19 schrieb Barry McInnes:

>>> To make qlogin and qrsh to work via ql.sh I have to swap the input
>>> parameters around.
>>
>> As stated in the Howto, you need this script only for qlogin. If you
>> revert your setup to the Howto settings, it should work.
>
> Maybe its something in my setup but I have a echo logging ql.sh usage
> and qrsh xterm generates an xterm, when I quit the xterm I get a log
> from ql.sh, so something is calling it ?

qrsh xterm

will work with your port 22 setup, but will bypass the SGE supplied
port each job will use otherwise. I.e. the systemwide sshd will be
used, not the one setup for each job. Hence job control is limited.
This is completely different from the "qsh" command.

> The first line is the initial parameters passwd to ql.sh.
> The second line is the parameters I pass to ssh on the last line
>
> ql.sh Mon Jul 23 07:05:54 MDT 2007 -p 62148 mac56.cdc.noaa.gov exec

The -p is the to be used port number.

> '/usr/local/sge/utilbin/darwin-ppc/qrsh_starter'
> '/private/Network/Servers/g5s1/Volumes/XRAID/Users/sge/default/
> spool/mac56/active_jobs/34923.1'
> pass  exec '/usr/local/sge/utilbin/darwin-ppc/qrsh_starter'
> '/private/Network/Servers/g5s1/Volumes/XRAID/Users/sge/default/
> spool/mac56/active_jobs/34923.1'
>

> from the job
> SGE 6.1  Mon Jul 23 07:06:33 MDT 2007
>
> Active Jobs
> Where   JobID       User  Queue    Jobname     S  DD:HH:MM:SS
> Mem MB
>  mac56  34923   bmcinnes    low         xterm dr   0:00:00:00
> 0.00000
>

> the job does not terminate correctly.
> I get similar logs when just using qrsh, but with no exec parameters.
>
> ql.sh Mon Jul 23 07:10:30 MDT 2007 -p 57239 mac36.cdc.noaa.gov
> pass

Yes, as it should start an interactive shell.

>> No, don't use port 22. This will not use the SGE started sshd on the
>> node, but the system sshd. This means of course to diable the
>> firewall
>> on the nodes.
>
> Unfortunately we have to have the firewall on. Is there a specific
> range
> I could open up ? From my logs it seems like 51000-63000 would be a
> valid range.
> I will try and open up the ports and see it that makes a
> difference....

It should be possible to have the firewall configured on each Mac to
block only external traffic, but have it open inside the cluster
depending on the TCP/IP address by using the "ipfw" program on the
command line to set it up.

-- Reuti