[GE users] NEEDING HELP IN ADMINISTRATING SGE6.1

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Jul 24 13:59:53 BST 2007

Am 24.07.2007 um 14:09 schrieb John Hearns:

> Nourhéne Alaya wrote:
>> We have a NIS server, and home directories are NFS mounted.
>> I just have verified the spool directory permission. Spool
>> directories are owned by sge, and they are local: each exec host
>> have its own local spool directory.
>> I am confused:
>> shall i share the SGE_ROOT directory by NFS or not. Or the sharing
>> is possible only for the spool directories?
>
> You can do it several ways.
>
> Either share the SGE_ROOT directory via NFS, and all the spool
> directories are below $SGE_ROOT/default
>
> or have local spool directories.
>
> However, in the spool directory on a host you have have a directory
> which is the same as the hostname of the exec host.

The local spool directories with the name of each node will be
created automatically by SGE in the specified superior directory. You
need just a directory like /var/spool/sge on all nodes to have it
local, which will lower the NFS traffic in the end.

Sharing the $SGE_ROOT has the benefit, that an update is just
necessary in one location - on the NFS-Server.

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/nfsreduce.html