[GE users] HPC Blog Aggregation

Wed Jul 25 15:46:23 BST 2007

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Reuti wrote:

> Am 25.07.2007 um 14:34 schrieb Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Rayson Ho wrote:
>>
>>> Nice!!
>>>
>>> I hope to write something on Cadence/SGE integration for my next article:
>>>
>>> "Distributed jobs in Analog Design Environment using Sun Grid Engine"
>>>
>>> Basically, it will be a cleanup of:
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.cad.cadence/browse_thread/thread/9362860f6486bafe/40efb2d2bbc2947f#40efb2d2bbc2947f
>>>
>>> Rayson
>>
>> Sounds promising!
>>
>> Have you noted
>>
>>  http://open.rsp.com.au/?page_id=11
>>
>> it describes a feature enhancement Rising Sun Pictures is planning
>> to work on.
>
> Looks interesting - more complex dependences are a still missing feature in
> SGE. But I wonder, whether it wouldn't be more straight forward to implement
> dependences in general as it seems to be present in Condor
> (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.9/2_11DAGMan_Applications.html),
> with array jobs just being a special case of it. Hence giving one option
> "qsub -job <job_control_file>" and all job details for the to be used scripts
> and dependencies are described in the job_control_file (and additional
> options from the original qsub command line may be used in addition then for
> each submitted job).
>
> Putting it all in the command line with "-hold_jid_ad" doesn't look
> expandable for the general case in the future.

Well, the benefit is having an option that is so well defined, that it
solves the obvious in an obvious fashion. Although I agree some DAG
logic could do the similarly, but that would certainly be a project
of a different dimension. Note also, even if the DAG thing were done,
one would be glad to have something like the -hold_jid_ad as syntax
sugar.

I see it like this: Hardly anyone would have ever built a ship model
inside a bottle, if one could build the ship model standalone and then
casting the bottle around it. But casting some DAG around array
dependencies is certainly by far easier than casting a bottle around a
model ship ;-)

Regards,
Andreas