[GE users] qrsh/qlogin

Tod Hagan tod at gust.sr.unh.edu
Wed Jul 25 22:26:35 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 14:39 -0400, Rayson Ho wrote:
> docs.sun.com was upgraded recently, reliability and speed are improved:
> http://blogs.sun.com/docteger/entry/docs_sun_com_works
>
> However, there was a power outage in San Francisco's Financial
> District which caused the problem:
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/07/07/24/2210255.shtml

Thanks, I thought that might be the cause.

Even though qrsh works now with single commands and with tight mpich
integration, it's still getting an error when starting interactive
sessions:

        prompt> qrsh -verbose hostname
        Your job 34 ("hostname") has been submitted
        waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...
        Your interactive job 34 has been successfully scheduled.
        Establishing /opt/ge6.1_lx24-x86/utilbin/lx24-x86/rsh session to host node110.localdomain ...
        node110
        /opt/ge6.1_lx24-x86/utilbin/lx24-x86/rsh exited with exit code 0
        reading exit code from shepherd ... 0
        prompt> qrsh -verbose
        Your job 35 ("QRLOGIN") has been submitted
        waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...error: 1: rlogin_daemon "/usr/sbin/in.rlogind" can't be read: No such file or directory (2)

        prompt> qlogin
        Your job 37 ("QLOGIN") has been submitted
        waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...error: 1: qlogin_daemon "/usr/sbin/in.telnetd" can't be read: No such file or directory (2)

        prompt>qconf -sconf | grep -P 'login|rsh'
        login_shells                 sh,ksh,csh,tcsh

/usr/sbin/in.rlogind is indeed missing, as on RHEL 5 it's packaged in
rsh-server, which isn't installed. Nor is a telnet daemon installed. I'd
like to avoid installing such insecure packages, if possible.

Can Grid Engine support interactive sessions on its own, or does it need
external software?

Thanks.

Tod

--