[GE users] qrsh/qlogin

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jul 25 23:10:49 BST 2007

Am 25.07.2007 um 23:26 schrieb Tod Hagan:

> On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 14:39 -0400, Rayson Ho wrote:
>> docs.sun.com was upgraded recently, reliability and speed are
>> improved:
>> http://blogs.sun.com/docteger/entry/docs_sun_com_works
>>
>> However, there was a power outage in San Francisco's Financial
>> District which caused the problem:
>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/07/07/24/2210255.shtml
>
> Thanks, I thought that might be the cause.
>
> Even though qrsh works now with single commands and with tight mpich
> integration, it's still getting an error when starting interactive
> sessions:
>
>         prompt> qrsh -verbose hostname
>         Your job 34 ("hostname") has been submitted
>         waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...
>         Your interactive job 34 has been successfully scheduled.
>         Establishing /opt/ge6.1_lx24-x86/utilbin/lx24-x86/rsh
> session to host node110.localdomain ...
>         node110
>         /opt/ge6.1_lx24-x86/utilbin/lx24-x86/rsh exited with exit
> code 0
>         reading exit code from shepherd ... 0
>         prompt> qrsh -verbose
>         Your job 35 ("QRLOGIN") has been submitted
>         waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...error: 1:
> rlogin_daemon "/usr/sbin/in.rlogind" can't be read: No such file or
> directory (2)
>
>         prompt> qlogin
>         Your job 37 ("QLOGIN") has been submitted
>         waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...error: 1:
> qlogin_daemon "/usr/sbin/in.telnetd" can't be read: No such file or
> directory (2)
>
>         prompt>qconf -sconf | grep -P 'login|rsh'
>         login_shells                 sh,ksh,csh,tcsh
>

> /usr/sbin/in.rlogind is indeed missing, as on RHEL 5 it's packaged in
> rsh-server, which isn't installed. Nor is a telnet daemon
> installed. I'd
> like to avoid installing such insecure packages, if possible.

unless you setup SGE to use ssh as described in http://
gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/qrsh_qlogin_ssh.html you have indeed
to install these packages. But this is a) only necessary on the
nodes, which are most often in a private subnet anyway and b) you
don't have to include these two daemons in any automatic startup,
hence no startup of the daemons for these two services need to be
setup in xinetd.d, the entries there can stay as "disable = yes".

SGE will start one daemon for each interactive job on a randomly
chosen port number dedicated to this job on its own.

-- Reuti