[GE users] SMTP mail configuration

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Jul 27 08:43:38 BST 2007

Chandran, Sathish wrote:

> Can anyone help in setting up SMTP mail configuration in execution
> hosts. This allows users to send a mail while submitting the jobs.

Errr... yes. But it is my day job :-)

Seriously though, are your exec hosts using Postfix, Sendmail or Exim?
I can give one or two hints for Postfix.
I've also set up Sendmail to do this - which these days to be honest is
not the pain it used to be.

The basic step is to configured the exec hosts to use the master host as
a relay host (or indeed if they are directly on a campus LAN just to use
the campus/company smarthost)    relayhost parameter in Postfix

On the master node, configure to accept email from the exec hosts.
inet_interfaces in Postfix.
You might have to set masquerade_domains
Then set master host to relay mail via campus/company smarthost
relayhost parameter in Postfix

The fun comes if you have a campus smarthost which rejects mail from
hosts which it cannot resolve. And many clusters have non-resolvable
internal hostnames (eg nodeXXX at localdomain or nodeXXX at company.com)
You then have to get into the dark arts of masquerading and address
rewriting.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer