[GE users] SGE 6.1 and qsh failure

Barry McInnes Barry.J.Mcinnes at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 27 19:16:17 BST 2007

I seem to have qlogin and qrsh working on the Macs, but not the way its
advertised in the ql.sh in the docs.

It seems to be a problem with Macs or the Version of ssh/sshd.
On Suns using Solaris 2.8 SGE 6.1 and OpenSSL 3.7.1p2 the ql.sh works if
I differentiate between qlogin and qrsh
# qlogin
if [ "$#" -le 2 ] ; then
HOST=$1
PORT=$2
echo "Sun:params $PORT $HOST" >> /data/bmcinnes/macopenmpi.log
/usr/local/bin/ssh -X -p $PORT $HOST
else
#qrsh
PORT=$2
HOST=$3
echo "Sun:params $PORT $HOST" >> /data/bmcinnes/macopenmpi.log
/usr/local/bin/ssh -X $*
fi

On the Macs using 10.4.10 and SGE 6.1 and OpenSSL 4.5.p1
qrsh will not startup it gives a library error, unless I use port 22 via
a tunnel. If I use $PORT I get library incompatibilty error, if I use
port 22 no error and a connection, which is why I setup the tunnel to
forward the SGE port number.

#qlogin
if [ "$#" -le 2 ] ; then
HOST=$1
PORT=$2
PORT=22
echo "Mac:params $PORT $HOST" >> /data/bmcinnes/macopenmpi.log
/usr/bin/ssh -Y -p $PORT $HOST
else
# qrsh
PORT=$2
HOST=$3
echo "Mac:params $PORT $HOST" >> /data/bmcinnes/macopenmpi.log
shift 3
/usr/bin/ssh -L $PORT:localhost:22 $HOST $*
fi

sshd -i is used on both platforms. The only other difference is Mac use
passwordless access for ssh, the Suns require a password.

One problem left is the SGE job does not terminate, after the xterm is
started and exited from eg.

[mac27:/usr/local/sge] bmcinnes% qrsh xterm
[mac27:/usr/local/sge] bmcinnes% qstat
job-ID  prior   name       user         state submit/start at     queue
                         slots ja-task-ID
  35085 0.55500 xterm      bmcinnes     Eqw   07/27/2007 12:11:09
                             1
[mac27:/usr/local/sge] bmcinnes% qdel -f 35085
bmcinnes has deleted job 35085
[mac27:/usr/local/sge] bmcinnes%

I really want to get this to work, so we can start using openmpi ?

On 7/24/07 11:11 PM, Reuti wrote:
> Am 24.07.2007 um 18:39 schrieb Barry McInnes:
>
>> On 7/23/07 11:04 AM, Reuti wrote:
>>
>>> qrsh xterm
>>>
>>> will work with your port 22 setup, but will bypass the SGE supplied port
>>> each job will use otherwise. I.e. the systemwide sshd will be used, not
>>> the one setup for each job. Hence job control is limited. This is
>>> completely different from the "qsh" command.
>>>

>> What is the way to make sshd use ports from 49000-65535 that SGE wants
>> to use ? I can see how to add single ports to sshd_config, but not a
>> range. I cant find any documentation within SGE/google.
>
> There isn't such an option in ssh. SGE will select a random port number
> and start sshd and ssh with it as an option argument.
>
> -- Reuti

---
Barry McInnes
325 Broadway