[GE users] first question - mail notification

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Mon Jul 30 20:38:27 BST 2007

Hi Alexandre,

Short answer: email may be coming from the compute nodes. Is your
cluster set up to correctly handle this case?

In SGE 6.x and later, email is generated by the sge_execd which means
it comes from the compute node where the job ran. Many clusters I've
seen have managed to set up mailhandling correctly on the head/master/
portal systems but in some cases they have neglected to configure for
proper smarthost and mail relay coming from messages generated by
compute nodes.

You may want to login to a compute node and confirm that your
"sendmail myemail at domain.com" works. Check the logs on the compute
node including the mail logs if you have access as well.

One other suggestion -- I often configure clusters so that user mail
can only be delivered to the local user spool on the login/master
node -- external mail relaying is prevented. We do this so that
someone launching a bad array job does not swamp the organizational
SMTP server with a few thousand error messages each time the job fails.

-Chris