[GE users] Missing slots

Heywood, Todd heywood at cshl.edu
Tue Jul 31 17:18:52 BST 2007

Hi,

I have a situation where SGE seems to only see one slot per host even though
I have defined 4 slots per host. There is a single queue on these hosts.
Here is an example, showing 1 slot available (0 used) on blade10:

[root at bhmnode2 bh_admin]# qhost -h blade10 -q
HOSTNAME                ARCH         NCPU  LOAD  MEMTOT  MEMUSE  SWAPTO
SWAPUS
---
global                  -               -     -       -       -       -
-
blade10                 lx24-amd64      4  0.00    3.9G   54.2M    1.0G
20.8M
   public.q             BIP   0/1
[root at bhmnode2 bh_admin]#

Now, in the definition of public.q, I have 4 slots per host (blade10 is in
the publichosts hostgroup) defined in this line:

slots                 1,[@publichosts=4]

And the local host config is also defined with 4 slots:

[root at bhmnode2 lx24-amd64]# qconf -se blade10
hostname              blade10
load_scaling          NONE
complex_values        virtual_free=3.8G,slots=4
<<snip>>

The strange thing is that this is the case for only about 5% of the hosts in
the publichosts hostgroup.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Todd Heywood