[GE users] load balancing

John Tseng jtseng at montalvosystems.com
Fri Jun 1 19:37:32 BST 2007

A quick and directory way:

You could setup a default request of "mem_free=100M" in your sge_request file. Then by default, all jobs will require that at least 100MB is free.

You might want to add a job_load_adjustments of 100MB in the scheduler to prevent multiple jobs from consuming the same "100 MB" in the same scheduling cycle/decision loop.

The better way:
A better way to do this would be to have a memory consumable per host and have each job "request" the amount of memory it needs. This way all cases are accounted for. SGE doesn't provide this by default - it only reports the "load" mem_total and doesn't automatically create a "consumable" mem. (Would it be nice if sge would do this for us?)

-john