[GE users] Réf. : Re: [GE users] Qrsh and PATH variable

Thierry Darnige darnige at ccr.jussieu.fr
Thu Jun 14 17:42:40 BST 2007

Thanks Daniel,

My actual problem is this piece of code in sge_execd (in exec_job.c, PATH
and LOGNAME variables seem to be handled differently than others):

         If ((user_path=lGetElemStr(environmentList, VA_variable, "PATH")))
            Sge_dstring_sprintf(&buffer, "%s:%s", tmpdir,
lGetString(user_path, VA_value));
         Else
            Sge_dstring_sprintf(&buffer, "%s:%s", tmpdir, SGE_DEFAULT_PATH);
        Var_list_set_string(&environmentList, "PATH",
sge_dstring_get_string(&buffer));
        Sge_dstring_free(&buffer);

In other words, I understand that if there is job defined PATH using the "-v
 option in qrsh, it is concatenated to the tmpdir to form the PATH.
Else the tmpdir is concatenated with a DEFAULT_PATH
(/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin that is hard-coded).
I would expect a concatenation with $PATH to get the current context PATH ..

All this is written in an "environment" file, read by sge_starter that
overrides the PATH just before executing the job.
INHERIT_ENV to FALSE doesn't solve the problem because it doesn't apply to
PATH and LOGNAME.

Seems that my only solution is to change the source ... Unless there is a
mechanism I don't see (It's an obvious behaviour for me. Strange it's not
handled).

Thierry.