[GE users] SGE and MPICH2

Maxime Kinet mkinet at ulb.ac.be
Mon Jun 18 15:55:55 BST 2007

Hi,

I'm currently setting up a new cluster using SGE6.0 and running
Fedora Core 6.
I have some troubles with the integration of MPICH2. I found the
usefull how-to by Reuti "Tight Integration of the mpich2 library into
SGE", and decided to use smpd as a process manager for mpich. I
succeeded in making everyting work, but I need to start an smpd
service on each node and for each user, which is a bit annoying. More
precisely, the only way I founded is by adding the following lines in
the launching script :
#Variables and parameters definition
#starting process manager
smpd -s
#running the esecutable a.out
mpiexec -np 4 ./a.out
#shutting down the process manager.
smpd -shutdown

Is somebody else using Sun grid engine concurently with MPICH2? Is
there any other (better?) way to proceed? If not, how can make the
use of smpd transparent to the users?

Thanks a lot for any help,
Maxime Kinet