[GE users] Cross referencing a grid ID and process ID

Colin Thomas Colin.Thomas at csr.com
Tue Jun 19 13:01:58 BST 2007

Hello,

We have some applications which run for days, and consume valuable
license tokens. At peak license usage, we would want to grid-suspend the
long running job, and give its license token to another short job, which
once finished we give back to the long job which get grid-resumed, and
gets the license back.

I have manully "proved" the system, so we want a little script that will
suspend a named job , and free up its license automatically

If the long job runs on an execution machine "A", I can trace the
sge_shephard to the code that calls the license ( so I know which
license to free). From the grid side though I know the grid ID, and that
it is running on machine A, but I need the relationship between the grid
ID and the process ID on machine A, so that I free up the correct
license.

Is there stored anywhere on the grid, a way of retrieving the
sge_shephard pid on an exec machine from the grid ID ?

Hope the above makes sense and that there is an easy solution..

Many thanks in advance..

Colin Thomas

To get further information regarding CSR, please visit our Investor Relations page at http://ir.csr.com/csr/about/overview