[GE users] Determining the failure states of completed jobs in SGE 5.3

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 05:20:42 BST 2007

On 6/7/07, Dennis Williams <dennis.williams at bjss.co.uk> wrote:
> 1) Does SGE 5.3 provide commands (or techniques) that would enable clients to determine if a job has completed with or without errors?

You should use qacct. Like Fred said, the qmaster does keep recently
completed job info in its memory, but sooner or later the info is
discarded.

> 2) Does SGE 5.3 provide commands (or techniques) that would enable clients to access the stdout and stderr files for jobs that have completed?

Use epilog or use a shared file system...

> Further to my Question...
>
> However one of our cluster administrators has explained that this command can only be run on the "head  node" which is not an acceptable option for us.

qacct needs to read the qmaster spool directory in $SGE_ROOT. If this
directory is not available, then qacct won't be able to read the
completed job data.

Rayson