[GE users] checkpointing and SGE

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Sun Jun 24 19:29:42 BST 2007

Hi Jerry,

Grid Engine can't magically checkpoint your application for migration
to another node -- all it really does is play nicely with either
applications or Operating Systems that themselves are checkpoint-aware.

Either the code itself needs to be able to checkpoint locally or you
need to be running Grid Engine on an operating system that can do
system level checkpointing. To my knowledge, Linux and the standard
linux kernel does not have this sort of capability. I could not tell
from your messages what OS and kernel you are talking about.

Most people I know who seriously use checkpointing in production
environments are doing it at the application level these days.

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian  <dag at sonsorol.org>