[GE users] /etc/security/limits.conf

Hristo Iliev hristo at phys.uni-sofia.bg
Mon Jun 25 11:29:06 BST 2007

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, sadfub at gmx.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've some serious problems here in setting the proper limits to the SGE.
> If I submit a job with just and "ulimit -a" it shows me just 32 kbytes
> of "max locked memory". This in turn is quite too small to run OMPI
> here. Any suggestions?

Hi,

I had the same problem with OpenMPI and InifiniBand here and after some
research I had to modify /etc/init.d/sgeexecd on each node. Just find
the line:
    $bin_dir/sge_execd
(that's SN1GE 6.1 startup script but I think it should be pretty same for
other versions)
and put an unlimit command on the line before so it becomes:
    ulimit -a unlimited
    $bid_dir/sge_execd
> I forgot: a "pdsh $everynode ulimit -l" produces "unlimited" as
> configured in /etc/security/limits.conf

/etc/security/limits.conf are PAM limits and they are not applied to
daemons started by init, but are applied to each login shell after a
successful authentication through a PAM-enabled service (login, sshd,
etc.)

Hope that helps,

Hristo