[GE users] Building qmon/SGE on GNU/Linux

Andre Alefeld Andre.Alefeld at Sun.COM
Wed Jun 27 12:48:05 BST 2007

Hi Jeff,

if you are running it with a prebuilt version, fetch the corresponding
source tarball.
Unpack it and then in the source directory do:

scripts/zerodepend
aimk -only-depend

create a aimk.private file (you need berkeley db and openssl 0.9.7x)
you can overwrite  the variables  that are defined in aimk.site here or
you install/link to the corresponding dirs that are defined there.

aimk -no-jni -no-java  -only-qmon        (this builds only qmon)

But I would recommend to begin with installing just the necessary motif
libs first and try to get the prebuilt stuff running.

ldd $SGE_ROOT/bin/lx24-x86/qmon (or similar) gives you a list of shared
libs qmon depends on.

This gives you the motif lib version number and you can search for the
right openmotif package for Debian.

Andre

Jeff Grant wrote:
> Andre Alefeld wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> No, we build it for various linux distros as tar.gz and try to keep it
>> running on older distributions.
>> Since at some point we decided to link against shared motif libs the
>> motif version jumps in the different
>> linux distros and missing backward compatibility libs cause some minor
>> headaches. Linux != Linux (as far as distributions are concerned) But
>> volunteers are always welcome...
>>
>> Andre
>>

> Thanks again for the tips.
>
> What I'm trying to do is build SGE locally on my workstation, and I'm
> having a heck of a time trying to get all the weird combinations of
> ./aimk -etc -etc to work properly.
>
> Most important, I just want to build qmon and get it up and running and
> see if it segfaults on my workstation as it has on a series of other
> workstations we compiled it for.
>
> I'm wondering what's a basic ./aimk one-liner that will allow me to test
> qmon where:
>
> SGE_ROOT=/opt/SGE
>
> Again, your help greatly appreciated.
>
> -Jeff

Andre Alefeld                Phone: ++49 (0)941 3075-255
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7	     mailto: andre.alefeld at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg           http://www.sun.com/grid