[GE users] Testing Grid Engine while running another job queing system?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Jun 27 16:51:11 BST 2007

Hi Robert,

This is totally possible - just make sure that Grid Engine uses
different TCP ports than Torque. You may also have to play with the
built in suspend thresholds a bit so that Grid Engine does not
disable queues when a node is busy running a task via Torque. By
default if SGE detects that a node is "too busy" it will close off
the queue and this could probably happen to you pretty easily if
Torque jobs were active on a compute node.

I wrote some blog posts a long time ago that may still be of some
assistance to you:

http://gridengine.info/articles/2005/09/29/things-to-think-about-
before-installing

(very old) http://gridengine.info/articles/2006/02/12/choosing-sge-vs-
lsf-vs-torque

The long and short of the "Choosing a distributed resource
management" process is that all the current products can do 99% of
what most people need out of the box.  The main difference comes down
to things like cost, scaling, support, APIs and other things that are
not directly related to job distribution but have everything to do
with total cost of ownership calculations and the overall
"operational burden of running a cluster" costs. Personally I only
use SGE or Platform LSF in my professional life  and for each project
I make a fresh comparison and fresh decision on the best product to
deploy. SGE usually wins except for a current large project where LSF
was the best choice for the end-user and customer. I'm actually
pretty happy to be deep into LSF again as I've been doing Grid Engine
work almost exclusively for the past few years.

It's been years since I've seriously looked at the PBS variants but
my personal experience suggests that if you are going to use a PBS
variant then the best one is PBSPro -- it may be commercial but they
are reasonable about academic pricing and I think I recall not being
freaked out about their commercial/enterprise pricing as well. The
PBSPro technical pre-sales and post-sales technical people were top-
notch.

Just my $.02 of course

Regards,
Chris