[GE users] Reservations

Thu Jun 28 13:04:37 BST 2007

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, alexander.knoll at qimonda.com wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> Unfortunately, you are right. What I want to achive is to reserve the 5G
> of Memory just to be sure that no other application is consuming it
> before the job really use it.
>
> And the job should not start if not at least 5 licenses are available.
> This is a job class which is not so important and the license is
> expensive. The job will only consume one of these licenses. The
> remaining 4 licenses are for important jobs which may follow.

Well, but then -l lic_feature=5 would be wrong anyways: It would
cause all five licenses be assigned to this first job. As a result
the unused licenses were not available; at least according to
Grid Engine consumable bookkeeping. What would be wrong if each
job of this job class would request exactly the resources that it
will consume? Is it critical that they run one after the other?

> I see some problems with the AR, also. The users have to split the
> submit in a reservation (think about start times and durations), wait
> for the AR_id and then submit the real job. I am not sure if this is
> possible to achieve.

Actually waiting for the AR_id is not so much an issue as it gets returned
instantly. So the issue here is that users would have to chose a time window
for the AR and I'm not sure whether that would be practical. If it were,
some script wrapper could help to make AR transparent for the users.

Regards,
Andreas