[GE users] SGE - host configuration question

Oded Haim-Langford odedhl at marvell.com
Thu Jun 28 15:27:34 BST 2007

Hello,

I encountered an example of what I think I needed on Sun N1 Grid Engine
6.1 Administration Guide p.155.

I configured the following dynamic resource quota to allow users to use
1 slot per cpu  for all the hosts in the system. According to the manual
it should allow users to use a slot per cpu on all hosts defined in
@allhosts.

$> qconf -srqs
{
   name         align_slot_num_to_cpu_num
   description  "set number of slots per machine to be the number of
cpus"
   enabled      TRUE
   limit        hosts {@allhosts} to slots=$num_proc
}

Where host list @allhosts contains all the hosts in the system, some
with num_proc=1 others with num_proc=2.

Then I configured @allhosts to be the single hostlist for queue: all.q
I expected all.q to reflect the number of cpus in the system as its
number of slots, well that didn't happen.
The number of slots configured in all.q was the number of slots every
host in @allhosts got. Do I miss something here? (I really hope so)
Is it possible to dynamically bind number of queue slots to the total
number of cpus of its hosts without configuring it manually per host per
queue?

I wish to work with virtual host groups e.g. set a simulation queue, it
will have a hostlist @simulation_hosts which contains @linux_32_2cpu +
@linux_32_4cpu + ...
So setting a default slot number for simulation queue will not do it,
and setting it manually for every host in the queue seems redundant and
unnecessary.

I will really appreciate any help you could extend in this matter.

Best regards,
	Oded