[GE users] sge_shepherd problems perhaps connected to nfs problems

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Jun 28 23:51:59 BST 2007

Margaret Doll wrote:

> Jun 27 16:38:02 compute-0-1 rpc.statd[3329]: Caught signal 15,
> un-registering and exiting.
Errrr... your code is hanging waiting to do some I/O to an NFS mounted
filesystem?

> Jun 27 16:39:44 compute-0-1 sshd[3697]: error: Bind to port 22 on
> 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in use.
quick bit Googling - it is already bound to the IPV6 address.
As you won't be using IPV6, the suggestion is to comment it out of the
sshd_config

ListenAddress 0.0.0.0
#ListenAddress ::

And why is sshd being started up at this time? Should only be started at
boot time.

Has something acted to change the runlevel of this machine at 16:38?

Which distribution and kernel are these machines running?
I would advise updating to the latest kernel available for this
distribution, and latest NFS packages.

Also I really hate to say this - and am opening myself up to a bit of
ridicule - but is there any possibility these machines have been
compromised?