[GE users] GRAM & Arco & Open DRMAA Service Provider (OpenDSP)

Krzysztof Kurowski krzysztof.kurowski at man.poznan.pl
Fri Jun 29 10:23:39 BST 2007

Hi Sam,

you may want to play a bit with OpenDSP
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/news/OpenDSPproject.html

Samuel Meder pisze:

> On Jun 28, 2007, at 10:16 AM, Daniel Templeton wrote:
>
>> Sam,
>>
>> DRMAA does support asynchronous notification, but only for job finish
>> events.
>
> Do you off-hand remember the functions for that? The only ones I could
> find in this area are
> drmaa_synchronize() and drmaa_wait() and neither one of these really
> provide usable semantics for asynchronous monitoring of job finish
> events. One would really want something similar to drmaa_synchronize
> that works similar to select, i.e. returns if when any of the jobs
> passed to it finishes (rather than all).

We have solved this problem by pooling SGE via DRMAA and using an
external service to OpenDSP
for asynchronous notifications about job statuses based on the OASIS
WS-Notification specification.
Thus, the following events can be sent to a client asynchronously:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <TopicNamespace
xmlns:wstop="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsn/t-1"
targetNamespace="urn:fedstage:cp:notification-topic:1.0">
    <wstop:Topic name="job">
    <wstop:Topic name="submitted"/>
    <wstop:Topic name="end">
    <wstop:Topic name="finished"/>
    <wstop:Topic name="failed"/>
   </wstop:Topic>
    <wstop:Topic name="control">
    <wstop:Topic name="holded"/>
    <wstop:Topic name="released"/>
    <wstop:Topic name="suspended"/>
    <wstop:Topic name="resumed"/>
    <wstop:Topic name="terminated"/>
  </wstop:Topic>
</wstop:Topic>
</TopicNamespace>

You may also want to compare the performance of GRAM + GRAM adapter vs.
OpenDSP + DRMAA.

Cheers,
Chris