[GE users] SGE questions

john.li at mindspeed.com john.li at mindspeed.com
Thu Mar 1 17:12:07 GMT 2007

Great,  thanks.  Currently I have the source code changed to 022  in the
files suggested.
I had to change a few other files to get the stdout and stderr too 002.
But I'll certainly try the prolog suggestion.

Yes, I'll be happy to verify the JOB_UMASK when it is available.  Is it in
v61beta?

While you are at it, if I may, please provide something like STDOUT_UMASK
and STDERR_UMASK
as well.   The reason this umask becomes a very important requirement is
that we allow
all group access at a project level.   So project team member can easily
work on other people's
work.   Even a SGE output file, without 002, it may stop other group
members' work flow.

Come to think of , why can we not inherit the umask from user's shell
environment?

Thanks,

Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
03/01/07 02:14 AM
Please respond to
users at gridengine.sunsource.net

users at gridengine.sunsource.net
cc

Subject
Re: [GE users] SGE questions

Hi John,

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, john.li at mindspeed.com wrote:

> 2.  In my envionrment, we'd like to generate files with permission 664.
> But
> the umask=022 are hard-coded in the source code.   Is there anything
that
> I could do
> to over-write this umask?

> Or I have to change the source code and
> re-build the package?

Well, you could do that. The umask(2) calls you have to
change are these

    daemons/shepherd/builtin_starter.c:   umask(022);
    daemons/shepherd/shepherd.c:      umask(022);

second possibility is you tinker a prolog script that changes
the umask of stdout/stderr files by using job environment

    SGE_STDOUT_PATH
    SGE_STDERR_PATH

as explained in qsub(1).

Third possibility is that I work on an enhancement in a way that
you got a JOB_UMASK parameter with execd_params of sge_conf(5) as
suggested by IZ#639. If you would help us verifying the result in
your environment there could be a chance to get it into the 6.1
final release.

Regards,
Andreas