[GE users] SGE questions

Thu Mar 1 19:05:07 GMT 2007

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, john.li at mindspeed.com wrote:

> Yes, I tried this.   But it introduced another problem.   Here is my
> observation and could/should be
> verified by the developer,
>
> First of all, my umask is always set to 002.
>
> When using -b y  (or change sge_request as -b y) to submit a job, any
> files generated by
> the job will use umask 022.
>
> BUT, when I use -b n  to submit the same job, the file generated by the
> SAME job
> will use 002, (I assume it inherited my umask, somehow.)

John, here I'm not yet entirely clear as whether you actually changed the
source or not. Did you make the tests here with an unchanged Grid Engine
or not?

> Based on my observation, I'd like to run all my jobs as a script, so that
> I have CORRECT
> umask.   Now, I run into this problem of not using $PATH to search for my
> script, which we
> don't have to worry when submitted to LSF.
>
> Anyway,  it seems umask issue will be addressed in v61.

Slowly ... that could be an overhasty conclusion. Until now the case is
not yet clear at all. Note also this here is an open-source project
mailing list. This means that you may not perceive my email as kind of a
feature announcements mail.

> I still think it
> would be much
> easier for the users if he/she does have to specifying the full path to
> run a script,
> which we do at almost 100% of the time.

I understand having qsub to reject any path that is not a full path
would be the ideal solution. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Andreas