[GE users] Differences between NODES and SLOTS

Daniel Ruiz druiz at aomail.uab.es
Mon Mar 5 08:22:57 GMT 2007

Hi!!

We are going to install a new cluster with this configuration:
   ---> 1 management node with 1 CPU Xeon Dual-Core
   ---> 16 compute node with 2 CPUs Xeon Dual-Core

We have the following questions:

1. If we have 16 compute nodes with 2 CPUs Dual-Core (total=64 cores),
by default, if we run "qstat -f", we should see 16 queuenames. But, if
each node has 2 CPUs and each CPU has 2 cores, how can we get 64
queuenames? Is it possible?

2. Is there any way to configure SGE (allocation_rule parameter?) to
force 4 processes in the same node (2 CPUs dual-core --> 4 cores), but
each process running into independent cores? Can we force the memory
size for each core? The reason is that we need the same conditions on
each core, independently where it is executed and how many processes are
running in that node.

Thanks.