[GE users] Help needed: what glibc uses RH 8.0

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Tue Mar 6 08:35:10 GMT 2007

Hi,

I hope I can get help from users deploying older RH versions.

I would like to know which glibc (2.2.x or 2.3.x) RH 8.0 is using. A user
reported to me that his system uses glibc 2.2 while according to the RH 8.0
release notes it should be glibc 2.3:

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/release-notes/x86/

    The GNU C Library (glibc) has been updated to version 2.3 code base and
    includes the following major improvements and features over previous
    releases: ...

1. Could you please verify what glibx your RH 8.0 systems have installed?

     % strings /lib/libc.so.6 | grep "GNU C Library"
     % rpm -q glibc

2. Has this system been installed from scratch or has it been upgraded from
an older RH release (e.g. 7.2).

Background of my question is that with SGE 6.1 we only want to support glibc
2.3 based systems with our courtesy binaries (the information that we
support glibc 2.2 based systems for x86 in our announcements and download
pages for 6.1beta is wrong).

Regards,
Andy