[GE users] Help needed: what glibc uses RH 8.0

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 12:48:24 GMT 2007

On 3/6/07, Andy Schwierskott <andy.schwierskott at sun.com> wrote:
> 1. Could you please verify what glibx your RH 8.0 systems have
> installed?
>
>     % strings /lib/libc.so.6 | grep "GNU C Library"
>     % rpm -q glibc

Hi Andy,

I don't have a RH 8 machine, so I couldn't answer your question.

However, I recently learned a neat trick to find the version of glibc
- you can run libc on the command line:

% /lib/libc.so.6
GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.4, by Roland McGrath et al.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-2).
Compiled on a Linux 2.4.20 system on 2006-07-04.
Available extensions:
        GNU libio by Per Bothner
        crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
        linuxthreads-0.10 by Xavier Leroy
        The C stubs add-on version 2.1.2.
        BIND-8.2.3-T5B
        NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
        Glibc-2.0 compatibility add-on by Cristian Gafton
        GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
        libthread_db work sponsored by Alpha Processor Inc
Thread-local storage support included.
<http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html>.

Rayson