[GE users] resource booking reserve in SGE

Mon Mar 12 16:54:09 GMT 2007

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Yuan Wan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My team is looking after a cluster of 512 cores.
> We would like to employ shared-tree policy to farely allocate resources.
>
> Now, some user are asking for large mount of resources (about 300 CPU cores)
> running in short term (2 hours). They would like to book the resources before
> using it so that they could aquire very high priority when they submitting
> jobs.
>
> Is there any way to implement this kind of policy in SGE 6 ?  (I know SGE
> offers reservation functionality, but no idea if it works for my case)

Yes, but in a sense it works the other way around. With Grid Engine
you can easily ensure that your 300 CPU cores job gets a high priory thanks
to the resource request related contribution to the urgency policy. If
such a job then asks for a reservation with "-R y" the job will get an
allocation.

Regards,
Andreas