[GE users] exit status for completed jobs

Jeff White jsw at farecast.com
Wed Mar 14 22:45:04 GMT 2007

I know this has been brought up before, but am wondering the latest..

 From Java, what is the best way to find the exit_status for jobs that
completed in a previous session?

I imagine that my application writes the jobId to a database as each job
is submitted. While my application is running, it uses session.wait() to
get completion status of jobs. I would like the flexibility to restart
my application and have it query the status of all jobs that I haven't
heard back from, including ones that finished while I wasn't running. It
seems the options are:

   - call out to qacct (log grep is too slow)

   - create an epilog script that writes job information to a database.
I           don't know if epilog has access to exit_status etc.

   - ARCo: is it available for 6.0? I imagine, however, that there would
be a delay in data flowing from the reporting file to the database, so
there would always be the possibility of jobs that are temporarily
"unknown". I don't always need to know the most current status of every
job, but should at least be able to get the last known status of any job.

jeff