[GE users] Changing 'tmpdir' on a job basis

Ionel GARDAIS ionel.gardais at tech-advantage.com
Thu Mar 22 11:50:34 GMT 2007

Well, in fact, the problem is the opposite one.
Instead of having $TMPDIR set to "<sge_tmpdir>/<sge_jobid>", it has to
be "/some/where/over/the/rainbow".

The path "/some/where/over/the/rainbow" changes job to job, based on a
user-defined value.
But I still need the machine file. And the directory should not be
deleted after job completion.

Well, another solution could be to change the variable name SGE use for
tmpdir.
Do I need to recompile SGE for this (using SGE_TMPDIR and SGE_TMP
instead of TMPDIR and TMP) ?
So the software's TMPDIR does not mess witth SGE's TMPDIR and I can keep
SGE_TMPDIR set to /tmp and let the software manage its own TMPDIR).

Ionel

Reuti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 22.03.2007 um 11:59 schrieb Ionel GARDAIS:
>
>> Is it possible to assign a "tmpdir" value on-the-fly ?
>> A software we use does not handle $TMP and $TMPDIR correctly and I need
>> to be able to change these variables according to a value from a user
>> input or a grep, for each job.
>
> in these cases I usually put in the jobscript something like:
>
> export SCRATCH=$TMPDIR
>
> or
>
> export tmpdir=$TMPDIR
>
> -- Reuti