[GE users] Changing 'tmpdir' on a job basis

Thu Mar 22 13:08:45 GMT 2007

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Ionel GARDAIS wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, in fact, the problem is the opposite one.
> Instead of having $TMPDIR set to "<sge_tmpdir>/<sge_jobid>", it has to
> be "/some/where/over/the/rainbow".
>
> The path "/some/where/over/the/rainbow" changes job to job, based on a
> user-defined value.
> But I still need the machine file. And the directory should not be
> deleted after job completion.
>
> Well, another solution could be to change the variable name SGE use for
> tmpdir.
> Do I need to recompile SGE for this (using SGE_TMPDIR and SGE_TMP
> instead of TMPDIR and TMP) ?
> So the software's TMPDIR does not mess witth SGE's TMPDIR and I can keep
> SGE_TMPDIR set to /tmp and let the software manage its own TMPDIR).

Hi Ionel,

It seems what you actually would need is a means to override the tmpdir
setting of Grid Engine. I think it couldn't be more than a minor patch to
let

    qsub -v TMPDIR=/some/where/over/the/rainbow job.sh

actually influence the job environment accordingly. Figuring out where
the source code change would have to be done shouldn't be a problem,
but what you need to define is whether Grid Enigne were still assumed
to create the TMPDIR before it launches the job and delete it afterwards.
If that were not needed the patch might be not more than a couple of
lines.

Regards,
Andreas