[GE users] N1 Grid Engine & Grid Engine Project

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 02:18:40 GMT 2007

On 3/22/07, Nicholas Senedzuk <nicholas.senedzuk at gmail.com> wrote:
> How does N1 Grid Engine and the Grid Engine Project tie together? Is there
> any difference between the 2 pieces of software or are they the same thing?
> If they are the same thing does that mean that the N1 Grid Engine is an open
> source product being sold by Sun?

Mostly the same... N1GE comes with support, Windows execution host
support (will eventually be opensource), ARCo (now opensource).

You can even use N1GE for free:
http://gridengine.info/articles/2005/12/01/sun-n1-grid-engine-is-now-free

And see this doc... (a bit old):
http://bioteam.net/dag/gridengine-6-features.html

Lastly, with the source, you can run a GE cluster on non-offically
supported OSes (like BSD).

Rayson