[GE users] Installing with BerkeleyDB spooling server

Joachim Gabler Joachim.Gabler at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 27 08:30:49 BST 2007

Hi John,
John Leidel wrote:
> When attempting to install SGE 6.0u10 on i386 Suse10.1, I can an error
> when trying to install the qmaster.
>
> - i've installed the berkeleydb
> - configured as spooling server
> - started bdb
> - made sure the firewall is configured to allow access
> - made sure the user has permissions on the files
> - attempt to run `install_qmaster`
>
> the following error occurs :
>
> Berkeley Database spooling parameters
> -------------------------------------
>
> Please enter the name of your Berkeley DB Spooling Server! >> *ENTERED
> HOSTNAME*
> Please enter the Database Directory now!
>
> Default: [/opt/sge/default/spooldb] >> <ENTER>
> Dumping bootstrapping information
> Initializing spooling database
> error: couldn't open berkeley database "sge": (17) File exists

Spoolinit tries to create the "sge" database, and expects, that it does
not yet exist.
In your case there already is a "sge" database - probably from an
earlier attempt to install qmaster.

Please shutdown the bdb server (on the bdb server host,
$SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/sgebdb stop),
delete the files in the database directory, restart the bdb server, and
restart the qmaster installation.

Best regards,

   Joachim