[GE users] Array jobs have priority?

Terri Kamm tkamm at acm.org
Thu Mar 29 23:09:42 BST 2007

I have a scheduling issue that I don't understand.

I have project-based share tree scheduling based on 100%CPU and an 8
hour halflife. I have two users who are on the same project. One user
submitted a large array job yesterday with 33000 jobs. So far 20000
have run, so he has has used a lot of the resources. I have a second
user on the same project who has submitted a few jobs today. These
jobs are not ever sorted with a higher priority than the first user's
array job, so the second user's jobs are not begin run. In fact, user
one's array jobs are being assigned 10-20 at a time while user two
continues to wait.

I understand how the share tree scheduling works across projects. I
thought that within the project the users would be handled
"round-robin" or some sort of fair share as well. What am I not
understanding?

--
Terri Kamm
tkamm at acm.org