[GE users] Problem with memory limits greater than 4GB

Alejandro Soriano asorian at gmail.com
Wed May 2 11:03:58 BST 2007

   Hi all.

   I'm using SGE version 6.0u10 on a Xeon 5160 machine cluster. I'm
using the binary distribution for 32 bits. Each machine have 4 cores,
so I'm planning to run 4 jobs in each one. In order to avoid memory
problems, I found very useful other mails submitted to this list, like
the sensor for memory. Thanks all.

   However, I do not find any thread relating to my problem (sorry if
it exist). My problem is related to memory limits in queues. If I put
a memory limit (or any other limit) in the queue configuration and
then run the next job on that queue:

#!/bin/sh
#
#$ -S /bin/sh
#$ -o /scr/$JOB_ID.err -j y
#$ -q test

ulimit -a

   There is no problem to obtain the limits I have put previously. But
if I try to put the memory limit greater than 4 GB, the queue do no
apply this limit! I've try to run the 64 bit version of the segeexecd
daemon with the corresponding sheperd in a node, with a test queue
(configured in the master with limits of memory (both virtual and
resident)), but the result is the same. If I put 3.9 GB of memory
limit there is no problem, I can see it. If I put 4.0 GB as memory
limit, the result of the job is "unlimited" in memory. Other limits
like CPU time are set properly.

   Can any one suggest me some test I could do?

   Thank you very much.

   Greetings, Alejandro Soriano

#
#   Alejandro J. Soriano Martínez