[GE users] Qmaster memory use

Mr. Syed Aijaz saijaz at gmail.com
Wed May 2 19:28:53 BST 2007

How about not submitting large number of jobs. I used Java DRMAA API to
submit 'N' number of jobs (sync wait on session) and as soon as a job is
completed I submit a new job. By doing this there are only 'N' number of
jobs running on SGE, this will not overload QMaster. Not sure if this is a
vaiable solution for your project at all, but just a suggestion.

On 5/2/07, Heywood, Todd <heywood at cshl.edu> wrote:

> We had a large number of jobs kicked off which of course drove up
> sge_qmaster's memory use. However, as the jobs transit from qw to running
> finishing, sge_qmaster's memory usage isn't going down (according to top
> and
> /proc/meminfo).
>
> I saw a reference to a memory leak in the archives, which was supposed to
> be
> fixed for 6.0u8. We are running 6.0u8, and it is not possible to upgrade
> right at this moment.
>
> Any susggestions? Why isn't the memory usage going down as jobs finish?
> Can
> I stop and restart sge_qmaster and sge_schedd without disturbing
> running/queued jobs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd

Aijazuddin Syed
Software Developer 3  DOE Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
DOE Joint Genome Institute
Walnut Creek, California.
E-mail: ASyed at lbl.gov, saijaz at gmail.com