[GE users] Announcing Grid Engine 6.1

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Thu May 3 16:59:11 BST 2007

Hi,

providing a modified clone of openssh(d) would bring us into the troubles of
always being responsible to provide updated clones of ssh in our project -
since there are fixes of security vulnernabilites as well we'd have the
trouble of being forced to react quickly - very quickly! We already have to
excercise that "fun" with the openssl library security vulnerabilties. Now
with two releases in parallel (SGE 6.0 and SGE 6.1)

There's in my opinion only one clean solution to it: if the ssh(d) from the
openssh project would provide an interface that it

    - simply could be enabled to work with Grid Engine (i.e. it adds directly
      code which gives the required tight-integration behavior)
    - or at least openssh could be enabled (e.g. by a config parameter) to
      load a shared library which comes from the Grid Engine project and
      which leads to the required behavior - in that case we'd just need to
      ship a shared library and the operating system pre-installed openssh
      would make use of it.

The big advantage of a clean solution is that sites which require security
audits or at least want to know what network login they allow would not need
to accept yet another network-login command.

Not sure if anyone on this list has some links into the openssh project and
could find out if these ideas could have a chance to become accepted by the
openssh project team?

It's definitely not a licensing issue (at least I believe this) - the
openssh license would allows us to bundle a modified version with Grid
Engine.

Regards,
Andy