[GE users] Configure the number of simultaneous jobs in a queue

Ravi Chandra Nallan Ravichandra.Nallan at Sun.COM
Mon May 7 08:06:09 BST 2007

Though the slots can be used to control the no. of running jobs in a
queue, but it is the slot per queue instance than the slot per queue
that we configure.
And the slots per queue can be overridden from the actual queue
configuration by using the specific queue instance configuration,

For eg,
a queue with hostlist > 1 , and slots =  1, will have: no. of hosts *
slots on total

$ qconf -sq all.q | grep hostlist
hostlist              @allhosts

$ qconf -shgrp @allhosts
group_name @allhosts
hostlist host1 host2

$ qconf -sq all.q | grep slots
slots                 1,[host1=2]

$ qstat -g c
CLUSTER QUEUE                   CQLOAD   USED  AVAIL  TOTAL aoACDS  cdsuE
all.q                             0.00      0      3      3      0      0

here the 3 slots = host1=2 + host2=1 (from queue's default configuration)

Neil, the slots you are seeing in the global configuration is the
default queue configuration, if you can notice the hostname below the
standard "@/", select it. This is the host(/hostgroup) specific
configuration which would have been set to 64 while installation. Hence
you should be able to run 64 *simultaneous* jobs.
If you want to control the no. of simultaneous jobs, set the slots in
the host specific conf, or remove the host specific conf and use the
global queue conf for controlling.

Check the explanation for hostlist value in the man queue_conf(5),
-Ravi