[GE users] Re: Configure the number of simultaneous jobs in a queue

Neil Killeen nkilleen at unimelb.edu.au
Tue May 8 02:48:23 BST 2007

Ravi  (sorry for funny formatting below - I am trying to use the
digest list
             but I'm not getting any emails, so I am cutting out of
the archive)

thanks for the advice.  I did attempt to modify the specific instance
of the generic queue (via qmon).  However, via qmon, when I select
'Queue Control' and then the 'Queue Instances' TAB and then select the
actual queue, the 'Modify' button is greyed out so I can't modify
it.  Only
the generic Cluster Queues TAB enables Modify

WHat is the command-line equivalent to do this, with qconf I assume ?
I have been trawling through man qconf and queue_conf without
great progress

thanks
Neil

From: Ravi Chandra Nallan <Ravichandra.Nallan at Sun.COM>

Though the slots can be used to control the no. of running jobs in a
queue, but it is the slot per queue instance than the slot per queue
that we configure.
And the slots per queue can be overridden from the actual queue
configuration by using the specific queue instance configuration,

For eg,
a queue with hostlist > 1 , and slots =  1, will have: no. of hosts *
slots on total

$ qconf -sq all.q | grep hostlist
hostlist              @allhosts

$ qconf -shgrp @allhosts
group_name @allhosts
hostlist host1 host2

$ qconf -sq all.q | grep slots
slots                 1,[host1=2]

$ qstat -g c
CLUSTER QUEUE                   CQLOAD   USED  AVAIL  TOTAL aoACDS
cdsuE
-------
all.q                             0.00      0      3      3
0      0

here the 3 slots = host1=2 + host2=1 (from queue's default
configuration)

Neil, the slots you are seeing in the global configuration is the
default queue configuration, if you can notice the hostname below the
standard "@/", select it. This is the host(/hostgroup) specific
configuration which would have been set to 64 while installation. Hence
you should be able to run 64 *simultaneous* jobs.
If you want to control the no. of simultaneous jobs, set the slots in
the host specific conf, or remove the host specific conf and use the
global queue conf for controlling.

Check the explanation for hostlist value in the man queue_conf(5),
-Ravi