RE : [GE users] change arch in configuration

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Tue May 8 11:03:13 BST 2007

Ionel,

> As I understood from a previous post, the util/arch script pick the good
> binary but the arch returned to qmaster is hardcoded *in* the binary. Most
> of recent linux distros are running kernel 2.6 : is it possible for you to
> give 2.6 binaries directly on the GridEngine web site ?

Binaries compiled on a 2.4 Linux kernel are upward compatible and run
without any harm on a 2.6 kernel. Anyone providing binaries (be it for a
commerical software version or for an open osurce community) will confirm
that you use the lowest possible version to cover the broadest possible
range with the least number of binaries. Creating binaries and doing QA on
it comes not for free:-)

I agree our Linux arch naming may look unfortunate however Linux kernels 2.2
and 2.4 binaries have been incompatible - that's the historic background for
our currenet naming. All users who use our courtesy binaries and who don't
like the "24" portion in the architecture name are free to changes the host
config ("qconf -me") and add

    complex_values  arch=<myfavoritelinuxname>

I agree this is not a perfect solution: The environment variable SGE_ARCH
still will be set to the original name however the advantage is that e.g.
scripts which need to build the path and which use SGE_ARCH still will work.

Andy

> (Well, else I can just keep compiling binaries myself but it is just a request to ease my job)
>
> Thanks,
> Ionel

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]