[GE users] knowing when a job is not scheduled because of quotas

Ionel GARDAIS ionel.gardais at tech-advantage.com
Wed May 9 10:11:47 BST 2007

The modification of slots from 8 to 16 is the "on-the-fly" modification
I'm talking about later in the mail.
By "on-the-fly", I mean 'modified while a job is waiting for schedule'.

When slots is '16', job runs.

My problem is that when a job is not scheduled because the number of
requested slots is higher than what a quota allows, users are not warned
about this (or at least, I don't know where to get the message)
(something like "job 1234 requested 16 slots but quota 'betatest' only
allows 8")

Ionel

Reuti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 09.05.2007 um 10:21 schrieb Ionel GARDAIS:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've installed SGE 6.1 and I'm playing around with quotas.
>> Here is my setup :
>> - Quota is set like that :
>> $ qconf -srqs betatest
>> {
>>    name         betatest
>>    description  Beta test quota for hpl
>>    enabled      TRUE
>>    limit        projects {betatest} to slots=8
>> }
>
> can you try to limit the slots also to 16 instead of 8?
>
> If there is just one entry, there shouldn't be any difference between
> betatest and {betatest}
>
> -- Reuti
>
>> - Job is launched like this :
>> $ head HPC/hpl.job
>> #!/bin/bash
>> #$ -S /bin/bash
>> #
>> #$ -pe intelmpi 16
>> #$ -q grid.q
>> #$ -P betatest
>>

>> When I qsub the hpl job, it stays in 'qw' state and 'qstat -f -j
>> <jobid>' does not say explicitly why it is not scheduled.
>> If I modify the 'betatest' quota on-the-fly, job runs a few seconds
>> after (proving to me that it is was related to quotas)
>>
>> As 'qquota' only shows in-use quotas, how could I get informations about
>> quota-related non-scheduled jobs ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ionel
>>
>> --Ionel GARDAIS