[GE users] knowing when a job is not scheduled because of quotas

Wed May 9 11:15:50 BST 2007

Hi Ionel,

I would like to try it out that in my environment.

What is the configuration of the 'intelmpi'?

Regards,
Andreas

On Wed, 9 May 2007, Ionel GARDAIS wrote:

> The modification of slots from 8 to 16 is the "on-the-fly" modification
> I'm talking about later in the mail.
> By "on-the-fly", I mean 'modified while a job is waiting for schedule'.
>
> When slots is '16', job runs.
>
> My problem is that when a job is not scheduled because the number of
> requested slots is higher than what a quota allows, users are not warned
> about this (or at least, I don't know where to get the message)
> (something like "job 1234 requested 16 slots but quota 'betatest' only
> allows 8")
>
> Ionel
>

> Reuti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 09.05.2007 um 10:21 schrieb Ionel GARDAIS:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've installed SGE 6.1 and I'm playing around with quotas.
>>> Here is my setup :
>>> - Quota is set like that :
>>> $ qconf -srqs betatest
>>> {
>>>    name         betatest
>>>    description  Beta test quota for hpl
>>>    enabled      TRUE
>>>    limit        projects {betatest} to slots=8
>>> }
>>
>> can you try to limit the slots also to 16 instead of 8?
>>
>> If there is just one entry, there shouldn't be any difference between
>> betatest and {betatest}
>>
>> -- Reuti
>>
>>> - Job is launched like this :
>>> $ head HPC/hpl.job
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> #$ -S /bin/bash
>>> #
>>> #$ -pe intelmpi 16
>>> #$ -q grid.q
>>> #$ -P betatest
>>>

>>> When I qsub the hpl job, it stays in 'qw' state and 'qstat -f -j
>>> <jobid>' does not say explicitly why it is not scheduled.
>>> If I modify the 'betatest' quota on-the-fly, job runs a few seconds
>>> after (proving to me that it is was related to quotas)
>>>
>>> As 'qquota' only shows in-use quotas, how could I get informations about
>>> quota-related non-scheduled jobs ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ionel
>>>
>>> --Ionel GARDAIS
>>> System-Network Engineer

> --
> Ionel GARDAIS
> System-Network Engineer

http://gridengine.info/

Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer