[GE users] scheduler priority questions

Mike Packard mpackard at oci.uzh.ch
Thu May 10 16:55:33 BST 2007

Thank for the help Reuti.

> did you enable resource reservation, i.e. submitted the jobs with "-R
> y" and the scheduler setting like "max_reservation 64"?

How can I show the existing reservation schedule?

> The specified h_rt will be used for backfilling of already reserved
> resources, and should be set to a sensible value. If left out, the
> "default_duration" from the scheduler configuration will be used.
> Unfortunately there is no "suggested runtime" without enforcing the
> hardlimit h_rt for now.

h_rt would be difficult for me to set because I have some jobs that run for over
a month and some that last only a few minutes.   I fear I would have to set it
too high for SGE to be able to make a useful schedule.

> Maybe a dedicated queue for only this user (set user_lists) and the
> necessity to request a complex (i.e. FORCED) to use it which has a
> high urgency value.

How does one prevent multiple jobs from running on a single node if that node is
in more than one queue?

BTW, If I set maxujobs to 1 while one user has several jobs already running, will sge
suspend them?  Is there a way to disable job suspension altogether?  I never
want this to happen.

Kind Regards,
Mike Packard