[GE users] SGE v6.1 resource quotas..

Ionel GARDAIS ionel.gardais at tech-advantage.com
Tue May 15 11:41:49 BST 2007

HI Andreas,

In one of my previous mail, I've been told by Reuti that in case of a
by-project limit (limit        projects {betatest} to slots=8 ) the
brackets were not required and "If there is just one entry, there
shouldn't be any difference between betatest and {betatest}".

I understood you answer as " limit        users * queues gran to
slots=5" is not the same as "  limit        users {*} queues gran to
slots=5 ".

What are the brackets really meant for ?
Specify a list or just enforcing and isolating values ?

Thanks for your lights,
Ionel

Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2007, Alejandro Soriano wrote:
>
>>  Hi all.
>>
>>  I have installed SGE v6.1 and resource quotas configured. My inital
>> idea was to limit the number of jobs that a given user is able to run
>> in a cluster queue. I wrote de resource quota in this way:
>>
>> {
>>  name         max_slots_por_user_gran
>>  description  "slots de la cola gran/user"
>>  enabled      TRUE
>>  limit        users * queues gran to slots=5
>> }
>>
>>   The queue "gran" (big in valencian) has 27 slots and I want to
>> limit to 5 the jobs that each user can run. In the cluster there are
>> other queues. The result of the resource quota was that the queue gran
>> only run 5 jobs IN TOTAL, not per user.
>>
>>   So my question is: there is any way to limit to users the number
>> of slots in a queue?. I thinck that if I put one user instead of * it
>> will run, but I have a lot of users!!!
>
> You can use {*} to enforce a 5 slot quota limit /separately for each
> user/ in 'gran' queue
>
>   limit        users {*} queues gran to slots=5
>
> note you can even specify higher/lower limits for exceptional users
>
>   limit        users asorian queues gran to slots=8
>   limit        users {*} queues gran to slots=5
>
> the first rule matches to user 'asorian' only. Any other
> user gets the 5 slot limit.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

Ionel GARDAIS