[GE users] Arco tool results differ from qacct

John Mc-Nicholas XJ (GU/ETL) john.xj.mc-nicholas at ericsson.com
Wed May 16 17:25:56 BST 2007

Hi All

I am basically having the same problem that Todd Heywood had earlier in
the year.
He gave up on Arco tool in the end , I hope I haven't got to do the
same.

> Heywood, Todd wrote: >> How does ACRo report time and memory? I
assumed it would be the same as >> for qacct, for which it is seconds
and Gbytes (according to "man >> accounting"). But qacct and ACRo are
reporting different numbers. Unit >> conversions don't account for the
diffs

The Arco Tool produces nice graphs and the SQL works fine but when I
compare to the output of QACCT  , it is a completely different set of
results.
There is some correlation between the data. For example, Aprils usage is
the highest in both sets of results &
The users with the most usage also correspond in both sets of data.
But the actual data seems to be randomly out by an order of  20-30%.

I'm specifically trying to extract grid jobs memory (Gigabyte seconds)
per month
For example the data for April
qacct -b 200704010000 -e 200704312359
MEMORY  5743492.079

But the output in arco gives.........
 6324866.240448

Is this a bug in ARCO/GRID ?
What would cause this behaviour?

The only strange thing I've noticed is that I have 2 dbwriter process
instead of 1 & 5 postmaster instead of 3.

  sgeadm  1430  1422   0   May 10 ?           0:00 /bin/sh
/grid/dbwriter/util/dbwriter.sh
  sgeadm  1422     1   0   May 10 ?           0:00 /bin/sh
/grid/dbwriter/util/dbwriter.sh
postgres  1402  1401   0   May 10 ?           0:00
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/database -S
 postgres  1403  1402   0   May 10 ?           0:01
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/database -S
postgres  1401     1   0   May 10 ?           0:04
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/database -S
postgres 13303  1401   0 16:29:34 ?           0:00
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/database -S
postgres  9719  1401   0 14:31:33 ?           0:20
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/database -S

If you've any ideas please get back to me & I'll give you more detailed
info.

Best Regards

John
> John Mc Nicholas
>
> STE/SEA Support Engineer
> BETE Test Plants UK
>
> Phone: +44 (0) 1483 305458
> Email: john.xj.mc-nicholas at ericsson.com
> Address: Ericsson,  Midleton Gate, Guildford Business Park, Guildford,
> Surrey, GU2 8SG , UK

Ericsson Limited
Registered Office: Unit 4, Midleton Gate, Guildford Business Park,
Guildford, Surrey, GU2 8SG
Registered Number in England and Wales: 942215
This communication is confidential and intended solely for the
addressee(s). Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in
error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and
delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.
Ericsson Limited does not enter into contracts or contractual
obligations via electronic mail, unless otherwise agreed in writing
between the parties concerned.
E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption,
interruption, unauthorised amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only
send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any
such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any
consequences thereof.