[GE users] qrsh -V

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri May 18 16:18:58 BST 2007

Am 18.05.2007 um 16:23 schrieb SLIM H.A.:

>>> I used the howto to set up pvm for loose integration. I am using a
>>> command like
>>>
>>> qsub -q devmyri.q -pe pvm 2 tester_loose.csh
>>>
>>> for batch jobs. In the tester_loose.csh script I added lines like
>>>
>>> setenv PVM_PATH `pwd`
>>>
>>> #$ -v PVM_PATH
>>
>> Would something like:
>>
>> qrsh -q devmyri.q -pe pvm 2 "export PVM_PATH=$PVM_PATH; my_pvm_prog"
>>
>> work for you?
>>

> I tried
>
> qrsh -q devmyri.q -pe pvm 2 "setenv PVM_PATH $PVM_PATH ; echo
> $PVM_PATH
> ; hello"
>
> and
>
> qrsh -q devmyri.q -pe pvm 2 -V "setenv PVM_PATH $PVM_PATH ; echo
> $PVM_PATH ; hello"
>
> (I am using csh).
>
> Both ran the copies of hello and hello_other in my home directory, not
> the copies in PVM_PATH although it had the correct value. When does -V
> have an effect?

Maybe it's a matter of order of the $PVM_PATH and the default PATH in
the system. What is happening, if you just rename your local copies
of the programs, so that they can't be found in your home directory
any longer?

BTW-I: -V and the "setenv..." shouldn't be necessary at the same
time. Just one should do, as the qrsh has now a command - sorry for
the confusion.

BTW-II: To test the variable on the node, the "echo $PVM_PATH" needs
a backslash, "echo \$PVM_PATH". Otherwise it's replaced already on
the submit host.

-- Reuti