[GE users] Update to 6.1

Marco Donauer Marco.Donauer at Sun.COM
Mon May 21 09:09:15 BST 2007

Andrea,

this does not sound like a buggy upgrade procedure.
Is the cluster working fine now?

Marco

Andrea Lorenz wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> you are trying to upgrade working cluster? This is always dangerous
>> and we recommend to do it not in that way.
>
> Yes, I update a working cluster. Only for long serial jobs were
> running. All other jobs were pending. I have done it serveral times
> before (e.g.  from 6.0u5 to 6.0u6) without any problems.
>
>> How are you performing your updates? The upgrade procedure does not
>> change the databases in case of classic and BDB spooling (non RPC
>> Server). If you're using the BDB Server on Solaris64 the BDB RPC
>> Server binray will be exchanged.
>> Only the rc-files and settings files will be recreated.
>
> We use BDB spooling without a BDB Server. The master is running on
> lx26-x86.
> I stopped all the daemons. On the execution hosts were jobs still
> running I call sgeexecd with argument softstop. There I rename the
> SGE_ROOT directory. Then I update the software and restarted the
> daemons again.

> No, I did not remove any in the spool directory. The queue
> configuration is still available. But the jobslist was empty.
>
> Now all our users have resubmited there jobs.
>
> Andrea

Sun Microsystems GmbH         Marco Donauer
D-93049 Regensburg            Phone: +49 (0)941 3075-211  (x60211)
http://www.sun.com/gridware
mailto:marco.donauer at sun.com
D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer